My Blog List

Friday, June 28, 2013

We're Number One!!


And no longer for our homicide rate!  Or, at least. not only for our homicide rate, which, if you didn't hear the big news, is down--w-a-a-a-y down: 43 percent down, if you look at the latest statistics from a certain angle--from last year! Whoo-hoo! So here in Chicago, we can have a double celebration.

So the plummeting crime rate is good news and the Blackhawks' getting the cup back is even better news, because, unlike the drop in the homicide rate, the Stanley Cup isn't an illusion created by manipulating the numbers. It's real. This morning, down on Michigan Avenue, I saw a little kid walking down the street carrying an aluminum-foil covered copy of the cup that was almost bigger than he was. The big parade kicked off this morning a few blocks from the shop and the giant celebration in Grant Park should be winding down just about now, leaving a million sunburned, sweaty people to find their way home on the CTA. I'm happy for the Hawks, of course, but I'm sorry: standing in the sun for hour or two isn't my idea of a good time, so Athena & are celebrating right here in the shop where it's cool, although I'm not really sure Athena's that into it. If you ask me, she looks like a closeted Boston fan forced along for the ride..


Which reminds me: thanks to the Supremes out in DC, as of this week, these funny kids will finally be able to make it official--after about half a century. What can I say? It's been a big week all over.
 

So whatever it is that you might be celebrating, have a great weekend. And don't forget the beer!



We now return to our erratic posting schedule.

3 comments:

  1. Quite the week Chicago has had...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it has! And the latest bit of good news hereabouts is that, of the 72 shootings over the holiday weekend, only 12 people died. And the body that ex-Cubs pitcher Kerry Wood spotted floating in Lake Michigan did NOT die of gunshot wounds.

      I tell ya, I think need a vacation from the big city, although my neighbor has practically guaranteed that when Concealed Carry comes to town and everyone & his grandmother are packing heat, all our troubles will be miles away. I can't wait.

      Delete
  2. i am just seeing this post. still in the celebratory mood, for the hawks

    ReplyDelete